Tuesday, August 3, 2010

That's Nasty

Lynn Lim just graduated from SAIC with an MFA in Designed Objects. Her work makes me want to spend a lot of time in those fabrication studios where there are laser cutters, 3D scanners, and 3D rapid prototypers. There is also a digital loom in Fibers. That is, upload a photograph/scan an image and it weaves it autonomously. Word.

The designer's piece in the thesis show, "Leveraging Ick", is about the dualities of responding to the repugnant, in this case revulsion vs. giddiness.
Below: Tripe-inspired bath mats! Bacterial tiles! A tandem toilet! I am more giddy than revolted.


4 comments:

  1. oh la la.
    I also wish that I had the opportunity to be near fabrication stuff while in school. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry...this is all I can think of when looking at this piece.

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/61322/saturday-night-live-the-love-toilet

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaa yes! that is genius.

    I've stolen from fish in a blender and ol' tiny hands from the lawrence welk skits. snl is pretty reliable.

    there are more photos of her work on her website, leenleem.com

    ReplyDelete