Friday, December 3, 2010

Luc Tuymans / Bad at Sports

Luc Tuymans, Himmler, 1998, oil on canvas, 20 1/4 x 14 1/8″

I've been obsessively listening to Bad at Sports podcasts from the past several years. Some are great, some terrible. I recommend searching the archives for all of Michelle Grabner's (they're all good - she talks really fast and everything she says is so relevant). Also, all of James Elkins.

Luc Tuyman's first major exhibition in the U.S. is at the MCA right now. He was recently there painting a mural in the atrium (done in a single day, just like the rest of his paintings). I think it's safe to say that it has become fashionable to dislike Tuyman's work. I never understood why he was making paintings, specifically. But my view totally changed after seeing the show like eight times, and then again after listening to him here: http://badatsports.com/2010/episode-273-luc-tuymans/

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment